At Liberty Wellness, located in Berlin, NJ, we are committed to providing the right treatment for those suffering from eating disorders, including binge eating. Eating disorders are hard to overcome alone, which is why our team of professionals will be able to assess your illness and provide you with the right binge eating disorder treatment options.
We understand the courage that is necessary to take this step, and we support our patients and provide them with the appropriate care needed to begin their journey back to health.
What is Binge Eating Disorder?
Binge eating disorder (BED) is one of the most common eating disorders in the United States. According to the National Eating Disorders Association, it is believed to affect 3.5% of women, 2% of men, and up to 1.6% of adolescents. Binge eating disorder occurs when an individual frequently consumes unusually large amounts of food in one sitting and feels that their eating behavior is out of control. Some of the obvious signs of binge eating disorder include:
- Eating much more rapidly than normal
- Eating until uncomfortably full
- Eating large amounts without feeling hungry
- Eating alone due to feelings of embarrassment and shame
- Feelings of guilt or disgust with oneself
To diagnose binge-eating disorder, your medical care provider may recommend a psychological evaluation, including discussion of your eating habits. Your medical care provider may test for a variety of things that could lead to binge eating disorder including:
- High Cholesterol
- High Blood Pressure
- Heart Problems
They may also request you have a physical exam, blood and urine tests, and could recommend a sleep disorder center consultation.
What Causes Binge Eating Disorder?
While the causes of binge eating disorder are still not very well understood, there are likely a number of risk factors include:
- Genetics – An increased sensitivity to dopamine could be a cause for BED.
- Gender – BED is more common in women than in men, though it can affect anyone.
- Body size – Nearly 50% of people diagnosed with BED have obesity. Weight can be a result of the disorder but also a cause of it.
- Body image – People suffering from BED typically have a negative body image, which contributes to developing the disorder.
- Emotional trauma – Stressful life events, such as abuse, death, separation from a family member, or a car accident, are risk factors. Childhood bullying due to weight may also contribute.
Treatments for Binge Eating Disorder
The treatment plan for BED depends on the causes and severity of the eating disorder, as well as individual goals.
Treatment may target binge eating behaviors, excess weight, body image, mental health issues, or a combination of these. The goals for treatment of binge-eating disorder are to reduce eating binges and achieve healthy eating habits. Because binge eating can be so entwined with shame, poor self-image and other negative emotions, treatment may also address these and any other mental health issues, such as depression.
Our NJ Binge Eating Disorder Treatment Facility Can Help You Recover
Finding the right outpatient rehab facility for binge eating disorder treatment is the most crucial step. At Liberty Wellness, we can provide you with the help you need in order to begin living a healthy and fulfilling life. Take these very important steps towards a better life. Contact us today for a confidential consultation to get started now.